The area around the Farne Islands has been recognised as one of the best dive sites in the UK. The combination of wrecks, 4,000 seals and unusual species make for stunning diving.
There are a number of dive centres and boat charters operating out of Seahouses. You can launch your own boat at Beadnell and at Seahouses Harbour
Code of conduct
We have developed the following code of conduct for divers:
Respect marine life, marine habitats and marine archaeology – never use a speargun; look, take photograph and don’t touch; do not take souvenirs; drive slowly near seabirds and seal colonies; comply with fisheries byelaws and all local regulations. Contact Seasearch if you wish to be involved in recording marine life and habitats firstname.lastname@example.org 07776 142 096
- On wrecks – do not dive on a designated wreck site without a license. Military wrecks must not be disturbed; do not remove anything, contact receiver of wreck (023 8032 9474) if you discover anything that may be historic, lifted items must be reported to receiver of wreck as soon as possible, know and understand wreck law.
- Dive conscientiously – maintain spatial awareness, avoid gripping vulnerable wildlife.
- Watch your gear – ensure gear does not damage protected habitats.
- Anchor in the right place – the rocky reefs in the area are of European importance.
- Mark your boats, fly the diving flag while diving, never leave boats unattended, ensure somebody knows where you are diving and when you are expected back.
- Respect locals and their activities – keep noise to a minimum, park sensibly, launch with care especially in ecologically sensitive areas.
- Be aware of fishing activity.
- Don’t litter – collect all rubbish and take home. Recycle if possible.
The British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) provides excellent safety information.
The North East Diving website has useful information on diving sites in the area.
Together with the Berwickshire and North Northumberland European Marine Site we have produced a guidebook to the underwater world off the Northumberland and Berwickshire coasts. The guidebook can be bought from here.
Boards and Bikes offer diving taster session for adults
Seahouses Village Website – details of boat charter companies
Also in: Water Sports
Northumberland Tourism have partnered with the National Coas...Read article